As you can see from this picture this man is shackled and chained. It is his religious belief that if he is chained and pays for his wrong that he will then be freed from his addictive habit.
The Bible does teach that sin is addictive and it does enslave and chain us. In the bible we read 'Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness? (Romans 6:16 NASB)
This is just illustrating that sin grips people's lives and they cannot break free from the power of sin on their own. It doesn't matter which sin we are talking about they are all life threatening (as in denying us eternal life) and eternally damaging. If you had read any of my blogs before you will know that I often quote verses such as "the wages of sin is death". Don't forget to read the rest of that verse which says "the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord"(Romans 6:23 ESV).
- We are all in the grip of sin to varying degrees;
- Sin for all of us ends in death and will take us to the grave;
- It separated us from God forever;
- Forgiveness is available for all human beings;
- Salvation and eternal life (as opposed to eternal death i.e. separation from God for ever) could only be provided by a perfect substitute.
- God only accepts Jesus Christ as that valid substitute as He is morally perfect and He came to earth to deal with sin. Hebrews 9:26 "but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself (Hebrews 9.26 KJV).
The question is will you trust him to save you or will you remain a slave to sin and face eternal separation from God as a result.
Listen, watch and read more through www.seekthetruth.org.uk